Friday, May 2, 2008

MBTA Green Line and Metrowest commuter rail, May 1, 2008

Dear person who found my husband's wallet.

Aside from just being a freakishly awesome human being, you took the sting out of an otherwise humiliating and absurd situation. Yesterday morning the husband pulled into the parking lot of our friendly neighborhood commuter rail station only to see his train pulling away. Frustrated, he jumped on the Mass Pike to the end of the green line which, with morning rushour traffic, put him within striking distance of being late and drawing the ire of his hospital overlords.

At the end of the day, he wearily boarded the shuttle to the commuter rail, boarded his train, cracked open his book and enjoyed the serene ride back to the suburbs, where he realized at once what he had done.

His car was fifteen miles away at the Riverside T stop. And, oh, by the way, his wallet's gone.

While all of this was happening, I was at my friend's house having a cup of tea while our kids played nearby and my phone rang fruitlessly in my car. Luckily, one of our friends answered his phone and rescued him from the commuter rail parking lot and drove him to his car. One crisis down, one to go.

Once we finally connected, I called our bank and credit card people to cancel his card and then went to the bank to withdraw enough cash to keep him afloat for the weekend (we're to Disney World without him- sorry, dude) while we're away.

One thing that I love about my husband is that he has almost childlike optimism. He said he'd find the conductor in the morning and see if anyone had turned it in. See, I was the one who hung up on him when I heard what happened so I could cancelthosecardsimmediatelyohmygodwhatiftheyboughtahousewithourmoneyalreadywaaaaaaahhhh!! whereas he had faith in his fellow commuters. When I spoke to him this morning he struck out, but was still hopeful. Moments later our local police called. Someone found his wallet and turned it in. Nothing was missing.

More than helping to restore my faith in humanity, you made it so that Husband didn't have to endure a day at the RMV and the insane labyrinth that is the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Licensing of Allied Health Professionals. See, Husband has to keep his professional licenses on him at all times and having to get new copies of these licenses makes the thought of a visit to the RMV look like a day at the beach. You also returned his brand new May T pass (a non-refundable $200 value).

So thank you, whoever you are. From the bottom of our hearts.

Kara and Husband

No comments: